Forearm and auxiliary crutches are the two most common crutches. Selecting the right type of crutch is essential as it has an effect on an individual’s daily life. Moreover, there can be long-term disastrous effects on one’s body too. So, consulting a physiotherapist is crucial before making any decision.
Go through the differences below and check which is better, auxiliary or forearm support for walking.
Difference between the forearm and auxiliary support
There are vast differences between these two which include:
- Forearm crutches are lighter and more compact whereas auxiliary ones are bulkier and heavier when compared with the former.
- In case of forearm support, manoeuvrability is high whereas underarm ones offer less option for manoeuvring.
- To use forearm support an individual needs to practice walking with an adequate balance. However, underarm ones provide easy balance as these are held under armpits.
- Elbow crutches are better for maintaining a remarkable body posture but using auxiliary may cause body posture issues. Users lean forward too much and also put less pressure on legs.
- Lofstrand ones never cause Axillary Nerve Palsy. Using an underarm crutch regularly for a long time might cause Axillary Nerve Palsy.
- Using auxiliary ones to climb up stairs becomes difficult as these are long as well as stuck under a person’s armpit. However, to go up and down the stairs becomes easy after some practice while using the forearm ones.
- Taking underarm support of and on when trying to sit or get up from a chair is a tedious process, but forearm support for walking offers one the opportunity to sit down or get up easily.
- Elbow ones offer a lot of gaits’ types whereas there are not many gait options when it comes to using auxiliary walking support.
- Forearm crutch provides the benefit of bending easily for picking things up from the ground. With underarm support, this is not a swift option as one needs to remove a crutch to bend.
- Using Lofstrand crutch helps in keeping an individual’s shirt clean whereas using auxiliary ones can damage as well as discolour the fabric in underarm portions.
These are the major differences between the forearm and auxiliary crutches. Get familiar with the list above and order one online which suits your entire requirements.
Get the auxiliary or forearm support for walking for daily use today!